Old June 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM posted to alt.fishing
[email protected]

Default Lead source

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 09:09:46 -0700, Bob Roberts
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:33:12 GMT, "Photon713" wrote:
Morning, all....

Need a good location for lead for sinker casting? Since I've been
unable to find a source of 2-1/2 lb sinkers without swivels I am deciding
to purchase a sinker mold and pot and cast them myself. However, need
a good and reasonable source of lead. Any help appreciated. I have
considered purchasing heavier lead sinkers and melting them down.
I previously used pigs for monotype machines to cast sinkers and
sometimes spent type. Don't know how many hot metal shops still
exist using lead pigs.

Old lead balance weights from a tire store.

Please note that tire/wheel weights are now made of antimony, or a
lead/antimony alloy. Normally, if your molds are in good shape, there
is no problem with this. However, if your molds are a little "loose",
the material can seep between the cracks, leaving SHARP edges or
"blades" on your sinkers, and these can be difficult to remove

--
Never met a fisherman that couldn't lie his ass off with a straight
face