Old September 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM posted to alt.fishing
[email protected]

Default Lead source

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:50:37 -0700, "Long Ranger" lorpkins@earthlink
..net wrote:

"Photon713" wrote in message
Morning, all....

Need a good location for lead for sinker casting? Since I've been
unable to find a source of 2-1/2 lb sinkers without swivels I am deciding
to purchase a sinker mold and pot and cast them myself. However, need
a good and reasonable source of lead. Any help appreciated. I have
considered purchasing heavier lead sinkers and melting them down.
I previously used pigs for monotype machines to cast sinkers and
sometimes spent type. Don't know how many hot metal shops still
exist using lead pigs.

Thanks

If you can get permission to sift the berm at a police practice range, or
any range for that matter. You will be amazed at how fast you can pile up
lead with a crude sifter. Use 1/4" hardware cloth on a wooden frame.

The last place I got decent lead was from a theater that had a stage.
The lead weights were used for counter-balances for curtains and
suspended props.