Old October 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Chris Rennert

Default Night Fishing Smallies!

Ok all, I know it is fall, and I know the Smallies are up shallow
eating. Here is what I am running into! The moment the sun disappeares
behind the horizon, boom, nothing, not a bite, or anything. I switch to
black crankbaits, black topwaters, black spinnerbaits, etc. etc. When
that doesn't fly, I go to natural(shad, crayfish, etc.), white, then
chartreuse , next thing will be glow in the dark.

I have read articles on night fishing, and here is one question I have.
Do smallies stop biting for a certain amount of time as their senses
adjust to the lighting conditions. From 5pm to 6:30pm (sunset about
6:15 or 5 minutes in that general time frame). Then nothing at all, and
I have gone into 1, 2, and 3 hours after dark. Still nothing. I am
still marking balls of baitfishing on my graph, but I have not even had
a bite, and I am probably fishing after dark 2 or 3 days a week.
Reading those articles, I know people catch fish after dark, and I know
people here have mentioned night tournaments. I will say that Winnebago
is not by any means clear. I guess I would take any suggestions you
guys might have. I don't get out of work till almost 5pm, so if I only
fished till dark that would only be about an hour and a half, and that
just isn't acceptable :-).

Thanks all!

Chris