Old October 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Night Fishing Smallies!

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Ok all, I know it is fall, and I know the Smallies are up shallow eating.
Here is what I am running into! The moment the sun disappeares behind the
horizon, boom, nothing, not a bite, or anything. I switch to black
crankbaits, black topwaters, black spinnerbaits, etc. etc. When that
doesn't fly, I go to natural(shad, crayfish, etc.), white, then chartreuse
, next thing will be glow in the dark.

I have read articles on night fishing, and here is one question I have. Do
smallies stop biting for a certain amount of time as their senses adjust
to the lighting conditions. From 5pm to 6:30pm (sunset about 6:15 or 5
minutes in that general time frame). Then nothing at all, and I have gone
into 1, 2, and 3 hours after dark. Still nothing. I am still marking
balls of baitfishing on my graph, but I have not even had a bite, and I am
probably fishing after dark 2 or 3 days a week. Reading those articles, I
know people catch fish after dark, and I know people here have mentioned
night tournaments. I will say that Winnebago is not by any means clear.
I guess I would take any suggestions you guys might have. I don't get out
of work till almost 5pm, so if I only fished till dark that would only be
about an hour and a half, and that just isn't acceptable :-).

Thanks all!

Chris

I have experienced a drop in the shallow water bite shortly after dark here
even in the summer. I usually pack it in, but I have heard that they turn
back on a little later.

--
Bob La Londe

Cheapskate's Ways to Do Fishing Stuff