Old January 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

Default TR: Green River

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:36:20 -0800, "JT"
wrote:

I fished the Green River from Saturday to Monday of this last week. There
was a pretty good dry fly window between 11:00 and 2:00 PM. The first day we
arrived late, it was pretty cold with wind gusts to 25 mph, temp around the
mid 20's before the wild chill. We caught the tail end of the dry fly action
although with the wind gusts it was tough. I LDR'ed a couple fish before
calling it quits due to the wind and cold. We ended up enjoying a few brews
and dinner back at #4 after checking in with the Trout Creek Outfitters in
Dutch John, UT.

Day two we woke to clearing skies and no wind. Sweet! The temps reached the
upper 30's, it was very pleasant. We got on the river about 10:00 after a
great breakfast (Chicken Fried steak) at the Flaming Gorge Lodge. Started
out sub-surface getting on a couple fish and changing over to dries around
11:00 when heads started popping. Very small stuff in the #20 - #22 size
range. I tried out my new stick on magnifiers, they were a must with the fly
sizes. I ended up cutting them down a bit and plan to cut them down a bit
more, overall they did the job. I'm still considering some hateyes (sp),
however have concerns after Frank's burnt lip report...
Overall there were several fish to hand in the 13 - 17 inch range. The
browns are very dark, more so than I have ever seen in my fishing travels.

Day three was almost an exact repeat of day two. We had similar temps,
however a bit more overcast sky, which seemed to lend itself to the dry fly
action. It was a bit better and lasted longer. The wind came up late and all
but squashed the action.

I enjoy the Green River, as I have mentioned before it's like an aquarium
with many browns and rainbow handing in the shallows along the shore.

Overall it was a great trip, a nice escape from cabin fever and reality.

Next trip will be on the Bitterroot around the end of march, I'm sure cabin
fever will have a hold once again.

Real nice TR thanks
I definitely have the Cabin Fever Blues and it's getting worse.
Did you drive? or did you fly into SLC and then drive?
and, if so,
how long did it take?

Gracias otra vez

Fred