Old June 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

Default Knot question....

On Jun 13, 10:13*pm, riverman wrote:
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

The problem you describe most often occurs when the leader and line
are pulled against each other before the leader wraps are ABSOLUTELY
tight around the line. Upon finishing the nail knot you should pull
both ends of the leader as hard as possible ( even to the extent of
using a pliers on the short end) before trimming the leader and line.
Another help is to thread the leader up through the middle of the line
for about 3/8" before tying the nail knot over the threaded portion.
Also for an 8wt line,a short section o 20-25' as others have described
- the same stiffness as the line - will give more satisfactory results
than a thinner leader.

Bob Weinberger DuPont,WA