Old April 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Orvis Helios Rod

On 2011-04-04 19:37:19 -0400, jeff said:

On 4/4/2011 6:10 PM, D. LaCourse wrote:
I just booked another trip to one of my favorite places, Riverkeep Lodge
in Labrador. To my surprise Orvis is offering a Helios rod to everyone
who books a trip.

Question to everyone (and especially Waldo), what rod should I select?
It will definitely be a salt water rod, but am wondering which one would
serve me best. I have a good Sage 10ft 7 w, and was thinking either an 8
or 9 weight. Would either be enough for false Albies, Walt/Jeffy?

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Dave

false albacore in labrador??

Who said there were albies in Labrador?

"I just booked another trip to one of my favorite places, Riverkeep
Lodge in Labrador. ...what rod should I select? ...Would either be
enough for false Albies, Walt/Jeffy?" seemed you were asking about a
rod for albies in labrador. my mistake...

around here, i'd say a stiff 9 ft, 9 wt for the false albacore i'm
familiar with...10 wt for the big ones (over 12 lbs). they make a
strong, fast first run, then are a bitch to get up as they do the tuna
circle dance. sage is the sal****er rod favored by most i know who
fish the salt regularly. i was disappointed in the new loomis nrx, but
i'm not the best gauge for such things... still, how can you go wrong
with a FREE helios?

jeff

A 10 w for a 12 lb fish? Wow! They really must be something. I've landed
17 lb rainbows, 16 lb coho, and 20 lb browns on a 10 ft Sage 7 weight. A
9wt makes more sense, to me, in that I could use it for other salt water
fish and possibly Atlantic Salmon

Thanks, Jeff.

Dave

a 10's what a lot of folks suggest around here for the bigger false
albacore. an 8 or 9, strong construction, would probably do. i tried
to get someone (an experienced fly fisherman) to fish their 8 wt, but
they were afraid it would snap. the albies have a very strong initial
run...and usually make a good second one. then they are swimming trawl
doors to lift to the boat.

jeff

Thanks, Jeff. A 9ft 9 weight it is. I will get it from an Orvis
dealer *after* I return. d;o)

Lab has BIG brookies. The last time I fished it I took 7 or 8 fish
each day that were five pounds, all on dry flies. I am betting that
Harrys Perfect Killer Caddis will be exactly that. And, of course
there are landlocks, lake trout (big streamers) and pike, as well as
those pesky white fish.

Dave