Old June 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Feeding Frenzy

We found multiple wolf packs of bass chasing bait fish everywhere yesterday
from 4 in the afternoon until well after sunset. I love fishing poppers,
but they just wouldn't take it. We all whacked them on spinner baits and
crank baits. I even had a couple doubles on a crank bait. I would have
been thrilled with the numbers I was catching on either bait, but one of my
buddies was getting hit almost every cast on a buzz bait. They wanted a
fast moving bait. I pulled out a 3/8 oz Kastmaster and started burning it
back to the boat as fast as I could reel a couple inches below the surface.
I went 30-40 casts straight with a hit on every single cast, and until we
called it a night I never went more than about 4 or 5 casts without a hit.
I caught so many fish on that Kastmaster and had so many hits that I
straightened out ever point on its treble hook atleast once and had to bend
it back. I couldn't even begin to count how many hits I had or even how
many fish I quick released swinging them into the boat on that failing hook,
but I bet I landed over 50 fish. They were mostly dinks, but there were
plenty in the 13" plus range with the biggest handful going to 2 or 2 1/2
pounds. I have not had that much fun and had that good of a bite in a long
time. I was still getting bit about every 4th or 5th cast when we finally
decided to head in while there was still a little failing light to dodge
sandbars by.

Both of the guys with me did as well. What I found particularly interesting
was that when we first came on the activity none of us had to say a thing.
Among exclamations of, "Wow," and "Did you see that," we all simultaneously
reached for the nearest rod and made a cast. We all hooked up on the first
cast too. The other thing I found interesting is that even though we were
catching fish we all kept adjusting to try find something just a little bit
better.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com