Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Wayne Knight

Stan Gula wrote:

Did you like Babb's book? (had to look up a review on Amazon to find out
who he is)

FWIW, I liked Babb's book. Not as much as I liked his first two books
but still a good read. As he seems to have been *discovered*, there
seems to a little more *fanciness* to the trips he writes about and I
don't find those essays as enjoyable as his other self depreciating
essays but overall I found it an enjoyable read. If one is so inclined,
in the annual bird hunting edition of Gray's Sporting Journal, he wrote
what I felt was a very enjoyable essay combining Maine Brookies and
Grouse.

I agree with you on Gierach, I've not enjoyed his last few books going
back to the Cane book. Not sure why but seems he just puts a book out
every year to put one out and get some revenue. While not literate
enough to be a decent critic, it seemed in the days of "Trout Bum" or
"Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing" his stories were more entertainment, now
they seem like a contract obligation.

I know you mentioned not liking fly fishing fiction but the Traverse
Corners series is a decent read for those recuperating from chronic
health conditions or too far away from a decent trout stream. Much less
stressful than that damn book of NY Times Crosswords my daughter gave
me

Wayne