Old March 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Default The Sport of Carp Fishing

Rodney Long wrote:
greg wrote:

As soon as carp become a "game fish", you can start to write off all
native fish, the damage to the water, and habitat, to native fish, that
carp cause, is well known, trying to control their numbers, by killing
every carp caught, is the only thing that helps keep them in check, some
DNR's have poisoned whole bodies of water killing everything , just to
get the carp out, then restocking native fish. When carp become a game
fish, they will start putting limits on them, and IDIOTS will start C&R
them, it won't take long, and they will become at least 80% of a body of
water's fish bio-mass. actually they are doing this now, with no
protection. This is a "PROVEN" FACT !!!!!!!!!!!

We have the same problem here with spotty carp, AKA trout, which are
about the only large fish left in upland waterways. The original
inhabitants have been outstocked, then outbred by trout.
Suggestions of making some streams trout-free to give natives a chance
is met by howls of derision. I hope the same situation never occurs with
carp.

Another solution, is there becoming a commercial market for them,
netting them in huge numbers.

They actually make good fertiliser and are caught with this purpose in
mind in some places.
Netting is largely out of the question due to greenie policies.
Cheers,
E.