Old January 7th, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Christopher Wildman

Default WD40

I spent a lot of time and effort keeping all detergent and mineral oil off
my hands. I told my anglers (I'm a former charter crewman and current
charter skipper) not to contaminate their bait or end tackle. I was amazed
when a party of anglers sprayed every single mackeral flapper bait with
WD40. I went off on one and told them off - needless to say they caught
loads of Conger and Ling. They even had a fair whack of Cod. Smartass (me)
who did not "contaminate" anything caught next to nothing.
That said, mineral oil and detergents do cut your chances so what I now do
if I have to touch the engine is wear disposable gloves. They can get holes
so holes or not I wash my hands with warm water and washing up liquid. I re
wash with fresh water and spray my hands lightly with WD40. Then I use a
towel to dry my hands as well as I can.
I have been told that WD40 is a vegetable oil in a solvent. The solvent is
volatile and dissipates quickly slowed only by the vegetable oil.
Combination with old sticky oil causes the old oil to thin and mix easily
with the vegetable oil.
Some of the WD40 lookalikes are mineral oil based and I don't ever use them.
I try now to never say never about anything in angling!

Enjoy your fishing,
Chris W

"Gonfishin" wrote in message
There is a strong body of belief in this sublect.
As WD40 seems to break down oil (careful how you spray your reels) you
could believe that it also breaks down fish oil and what ever "oil" there
is in worm.
If this is so then bait sprayed with WD40 would tend to release its oils
more quickly thus presnting a good scent trail from early in the cast. It
would tend to run out a lot quicker though, so more frequent re-bailting
is called for, more scent ,more often, more fish?!
Tight lines
Keith M

"Neil" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
According to Sea Angler magazine, (Jan 2007, page 46) WD40 has "a big
following as an effective fish attractant and bait additive."

What say you?

I heard a rumour many years ago and do no not if true or not, but the
rumour was that WD40 contains fish oil