Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill[_2_]

Default Float Tubing

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a place I like to fish that is walk in access only. Heavy
brush. Dragging my canoe is not even possible even with a partner and
with a canoe dolly. There is only a small portion of it I can fish from
the bank or by wading. I was thinking I could pack in a light duty float
tube deflated in my pack, but I need to be able to inflate it in a
reasonable period of time. Any of you guys have a suggestion. Something
small enough to be packable and can inflate the tube in a short period of
time to full pressure?

Remember I also have to pack in water, (a snack if I stay all day) and my
fishing gear along with reasonable safety gear.

I've tried float tubes and don't like them. If you can pack in
a float tube and the fins and the pump and your fishing gear,
you can just as easily carry in a small canoe. One of my canoes
is a 54 lb. 16 footer and I can carry it anywhere I can pack a
float tube and all its paraphernalia.

The only time I'd use a float tube anymore is for fishing a
high alpine lake and traveling there on horseback. And even
then I'd just as soon arrive a half hour late on foot carrying
a canoe rather than riding a friggin' horse and being stuck
in a float tube all day. But that's just me.

--
Ken Fortenberry

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or canoe. I
happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for scuba. About
3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.