Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Lu Powell[_2_]

Default Float Tubing

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a place I like to fish that is walk in access only. Heavy
brush. Dragging my canoe is not even possible even with a partner and
with a canoe dolly. There is only a small portion of it I can fish from
the bank or by wading. I was thinking I could pack in a light duty
float tube deflated in my pack, but I need to be able to inflate it in a
reasonable period of time. Any of you guys have a suggestion. Something
small enough to be packable and can inflate the tube in a short period
of time to full pressure?

Remember I also have to pack in water, (a snack if I stay all day) and
my fishing gear along with reasonable safety gear.

I've tried float tubes and don't like them. If you can pack in
a float tube and the fins and the pump and your fishing gear,
you can just as easily carry in a small canoe. One of my canoes
is a 54 lb. 16 footer and I can carry it anywhere I can pack a
float tube and all its paraphernalia.

This is some heavy brush to get through. I don't think so. In some
places I am using both hands to separate the brush so I can push through,
and wading in hip deep water where I am not actually laying on or crawling
over the brush. A light duty float tube will fit in my back pack. I
wouldn't even want to try to get through with a full frame pack.

I suppose it might be possible to drag a one person kayak, but it would be
pretty scratched up., and I would be exhausted by the time I got it
through. Its not a long walk. Maybe a half mile, but there are two or
three places where I can barely fit me through the brush. One of them is
about 100 feet of that type of squeezing through. I have a canoe, and
seriously thought about how I might get it through and gave up on the
idea.

Last time I was there I waded in neck deep water and whacked fish left and
right, but I was only able to fish about 1% of the fishable pond/opening.
It was all too deep for any more. There is no way I could pack in my tube
inflated, and I would have to use one of the smaller ones that will fit in
my day pack.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

We have a rechargeable pump used to inflate the grandkids big tubes that get
towed behind our boat. Fully charged, it can inflate a two person float,
with power to spare. Nice thing is , it's about 5 inches by 4 inches in
size. Comes with nozzle attachments for varying sizes. Does not include
fitting for tire inner tube.

I think I bought it at Wal-Mart. Its box is labeled "Ozark Trail AC/DC
rechargeable pump". Cost less than $20.00. Here's link to walmart.com ad:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4694688