Old January 27th, 2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default TR: Green River

On Jan 27, 11:32*am, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

We float fished one day (cousin has a drift boat) and wade fished a couple
days. We found it easier to spot pods of rising fish while wade fishing and
worked the pods. *

I've only fished the Green once, probably close to 20 years ago. * *I
was in Jack Dennis' shop in Jackson and he suggested the place to me
as a 'recently discovered' great fishery. * It was actually a couple
years later that I got around to going down there.

I walked upstream from the camping area and soon found a few fish
rising to midges behind a rock and about 10 feet off the bank, river
left. * *I stepped into the water, got directly below them ( about 10
feet off the bank ) to easier use my right handed casting, and soon
landed one. * As I waited for the rest to settle back down I stood
still ( about 10
feet off the bank ) and even though a couple fish started to rise,
continued to rest the spot not moving ( about 10 feet off the
bank ).

It was summer and the river had a ton of drift boats on it ( 'zoo' is
too mild a word ) and along comes one with an obvious guide
( outfitter name on boat ... rower looking all 'guidey' ) and two
anglers, an apparent couple. * * The female angler, as they drifted by
the rock, cast to the rises a very few feet from me in a manner that
required ( I **** you not ) that I grab her line and lift it over my
head as it floated at me, to avoid getting tangled. * *As I did so,
she went into a string of filthy expletives that was astounding and
embarrassed even me. ( I trained dogs and speak 'expletive'
fluently ), about me ruining her fishing.

In case I forgot to mention it, I was about 10 feet off the bank and
the rest of the fairly large immediate river was unoccupied, with
rises obvious on the other bank, also. * She was tossing a bobber,
anyway.

The "guide" and the "male" angler just looked away .... away from
what, I believe, was the single worst example of terrible 'etiquette'
I, personally have ever witnessed while fishing. * *This was the
moment when "guide" became a somewhat dirty word to me. * Had I been
the guy, I would have beached the boat and beached the bitch with the
advice that she never, ever, return or seek my services again, and
would have considered it a professional obligation to do so.

I firmly believe guides need to see themselves as educators and also
understand that their subject matter includes more than just catching
fish, it also includes doing so in a sporting way, with respect for
the resource and for other anglers
*.... some do
*.... many don't ( best I can tell from years of observation )

Don't get me wrong ... I think "The Green" is a good destination to
sample and may even go back, myself, someday. LOTS of fish.