Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Return of a Classic

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:05:19 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

"Feather-Craft has commissioned SAGE to build an exclusive,
limited run of their legendary 4711 LL (Light Line) fly rods.
This 7'11" 4-weight, 2- piece medium-fast action fly rod
disappeared almost a decade ago, but is still commonly
discussed and admired amongst groups of fly rod aficionados.
Many believe, including me, that this is the finest small stream
4-weight fly rod ever made. Don Green's masterpiece (Founder of
Sage Rod Company). I have 11 rods unspoken for at the time of
this writing. Cost is $550. Delivery is April, 2009. $100 deposit
required. Balance due on delivery. Sold on a first come basis...."

http://tinyurl.com/d3noc6

Usual disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Feathercraft other
than as a satisfied customer.

The LL series was/is indeed legendary. I have 490-4 LL and it's
my all time favorite 4 wt. Why Sage discontinued the LL I'll
never know, it was/is the sweetest casting Sage I've ever used.
Anyway here's a rare opportunity to get a brand new one.

Um, will the US Treasury be commissioning them to produce a exclusive limited
run of Susan B. Anthony dollar coins that will be available for a mere 3
dollars, too...?

All kidding aside, I, too, liked and still like the LL series, but let's not get
too far out of the bounds of reality here. They are nice - I'd allow even very
nice - rods and all, but considering originals are fairly readily available for
about half (or less) of that, I'm not sure what the big deal is about these. I
guess if you just _HAVE_ to get one by the end of April, fine, but if I were
simply thinking "one of those might be nice to have," I'd keep my eyes out and
pick one up for a lot less money.

My first thought was that Sage had a relative few extras still rattling around
the shop for some reason, and someone figured out that there were two choices -
sell 'em cheap as a close-out OR make 'em seem like a bargain at any price and
get tip-top dollar, pardon the sorta-pun, as long as the suckers kept coming...

For whatever reason, it reminds me of a story - what's that old short story
about the "Spinoza" rods at the antiques auction...?

TC,