Old April 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Return of a Classic

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:44:41 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:05:19 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

"Feather-Craft has commissioned SAGE to build an exclusive,
limited run of their legendary 4711 LL (Light Line) fly rods.
This 7'11" 4-weight, 2- piece medium-fast action fly rod
disappeared almost a decade ago, but is still commonly
discussed and admired amongst groups of fly rod aficionados.
Many believe, including me, that this is the finest small stream
4-weight fly rod ever made. Don Green's masterpiece (Founder of
Sage Rod Company). I have 11 rods unspoken for at the time of
this writing. Cost is $550. Delivery is April, 2009. $100 deposit
required. Balance due on delivery. Sold on a first come basis...."

http://tinyurl.com/d3noc6

Usual disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Feathercraft other
than as a satisfied customer.

The LL series was/is indeed legendary. I have 490-4 LL and it's
my all time favorite 4 wt. Why Sage discontinued the LL I'll
never know, it was/is the sweetest casting Sage I've ever used.
Anyway here's a rare opportunity to get a brand new one.

Um, will the US Treasury be commissioning them to produce a exclusive limited
run of Susan B. Anthony dollar coins that will be available for a mere 3
dollars, too...?

All kidding aside, I, too, liked and still like the LL series, but let's not get
too far out of the bounds of reality here. They are nice - I'd allow even very
nice - rods and all, but considering originals are fairly readily available for
about half (or less) of that, I'm not sure what the big deal is about these. I
guess if you just _HAVE_ to get one by the end of April, fine, but if I were
simply thinking "one of those might be nice to have," I'd keep my eyes out and
pick one up for a lot less money.

I don't do much eBay shopping so I really don't know how often
Sage LLs show up or what they go for when they do. I know I sure
as hell didn't pay $550 for my four piece LL way back when but I
don't remember exactly what it cost.

Same here. I don't recall any LL being that much (I have no idea what the
"MSRP" might have been, I'm speaking of "real-world," actual prices). And FWIW,
I did a quick eBay search and found several LLs - all sold under $400USD, and
most are in the $250-ish range, and there are several available for bidding now
(none are this exact rod, but it only covers a coupla-three weeks back and
current auctions) and I've seen a fair number of various LLs for sale at a
variety of places, like the various catalogs from dealers, etc. in that same
general range.

I don't endorse this as a good deal,

I didn't think, or mean to imply, that you were.

I'm just posting the info.

I'll say this though, I will pay a substantial premium for the
warranty that comes with a new rod. In other words if I can buy
the same rod on eBay for $150 and new for $250 I'll buy the new
one every time.

Your mileage obviously varies on that point. I don't see the point of paying
double, or nearly so, merely for a warranty, but I don't see it as "wrong,"
either - to each their own.

TC,