Old July 1st, 2004, 03:11 AM
snakefiddler

Default leader pile up

"rw" wrote in message
m...
snakefiddler wrote:
o.k., so i can cast my line out in a nice straight line fairly

consistently,
avoiding "pile up", but my leader is piling up. i just put new leader

on
day before yesterday, and it is pretty curly. is it because of that, or

is
it related to my casting- or maybe something else? any ideas?

Carry a piece of inner tube or leather to straighten the leader.

i like that idea

You can
do it with just your fingers, too. The idea is to use friction to heat
the leader, and then pull to straighten it.

fished with my new blue winged olive today- a very cool fly- it got

*lots*
of bites, but i didn't hook anything. i'm sure it was because i tried

compress the barb, in an effort to make it easier to remove the hook.

my
disappointment at losing so many fish is at odds with my effort to be as
humane as possible, and my desire to protect myself from injury, while
indulging in this endeavor :-(
but damn that fly got a lot of "hits"

My guess is that they were teeny, tiny fish that were too small for the
hook size. :-)

When you hook a fish, keep tension by stripping line, and once you have
control reel up the slack. Keeping tension is especially important with
debarbed hooks.

thanks for the tip-
i appreciate all the info i can get ;-)

snakefiddler