Old February 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Tiagra 30 or 50

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:36:37 +0800, "Rob2" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Regarding line - if I get the 50W I might go for dacron instead of
braid. I'm still a bit uneasy about the join to the top-shot
however. I've read a few articles which say that a bimini in both
lines with just a loop to loop connection in the middle is the go,
which sounds fine if using mono of a higher test than the braid
(eg - a leader). But if using braid or dacron of the same test as
the mono I would have thought the braided line would cut into the
mono and be a weak point. Likewise the 'braid leader knot' seems to
be suited to joining heavy mono to the braid, but not necessarily
similar test lines. What join do you guys use?

I've had success with a knot called a Seizing Bend (can't find an
example on the net) and I also use a double nail.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern