Old November 5th, 2003, 03:03 PM
RalphH

Default First salmon

Good for you! You and your buds must be tough monkeys to have fished all day
in that rain storm! Did youfish the Stave? I heard it was good just before
they spilled water over the dam.

--

www.sendmeyourmoney.com
there are no numbers in my email addy. Please remove to reply
"haresear" wrote in message
I posted a picture in abpf. A couple weeks ago I went on an adventure
to Abbottsford, BC with about 10 other guys, several of us newbies,
after chum salmon. We all caught fish! This was my first salmon; I'm
used to catching 10-13 inch trout, so it really got my adreneline
pumping!

It was cold, wet, and rained the entire time (we were up there at the
start of that big storm they had). Hardly anything went as planned; it
was one misadventure after another.

In short, it was wonderful. I had the best time of my life.

We were fishing chartreuse streamers(?) my buddy tied. They're about an
inch to and inch and a half long. Don't really know what to call 'em.
I have a 9' pfleuger 8 wt rod, pfleuger reel, sinking line. Short piece
of 15# mono for leader.

We left Portland, OR, around 3 am on Wed (10/15) and got to the river
just before noon. Fished the rest of the day Wed, all day Thurs, most
of Fri. Then drove back Fri and arrived home around midnight. It was
grueling! (Did I mention it was the best time ever?)

In the 2 1/2 days fishing, I hooked and fought 40 salmon. Most politely
released themselves. Some broke off. Several made me trot along the
bank after them ("walking the fish"?). And a few made it to the bank.
At least 4 of them fought for over 30 minutes. Thought my arms would
fall off!

I brought home 2 salmon and smoked them. Delicious!

The streamside pics are still in somebody else's camera. Will post when
I get them if there's interest. My wife says I haven't stopped grinning
since I got home.

Can't wait to go back next year.

Tim H