Old January 9th, 2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Wintertime project :off topic

On Jan 8, 12:14*am, riverman wrote:
A handful of years back, Wolfgang posted a picture of a rapid
somewhere on some river, and within a matter of days, the collective
research skills of this group identified the river, rapid and
timeframe of the photo.

If memory serves, the collective research skills of this group were
pretty much George Cleveland, who made a very strong case for a
particular time and place. Other contributors provided interesting
ideas and theories, but Geroge came as close to nailing it
singlehandedly as I'd have thought humanly possible under the
circumstances. Actually, he far exceeded not only expectations but
also what I thought could be done with the extremely limited
information available.

Recently, I've become a bit obsessed with another similar search. If
anyone wants to get involved, here are the relevant facts. Its been
pretty interesting...almost addicting, actually.

I can't help you with this one any more than the other respondents
thus far. But it IS a fascinating story.....and one which ramifies
even further, as will be obvious to anyone who has read about European
(yeah, too early for American.....mostly) efforts to open up the "Dark
Continent" to civilizing influences. Bruce, Park, Doughty, Speke,
Burton and, yes, Twain come quickly to mind.

DO, please, keep us posted on progress in this fascinating story.

Wolfgang