Old March 27th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Kim Sawyer

Default Beginner: Tying Salmon Flys

The message m
from "JonnyMac" contains these words:

Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. It's years since
I tied salmon flies, but I can tell you that tying patterns like Mar
Lodge, Dunkeld, Torrish and Thunder and Lightning on decent sized hooks
(1/0 and larger) with traditional materials can be both expensive and
also try the patience of a saint.

First, if you haven't already done so, you should invest in a good book
depicting fifty or so traditional salmon patterns, listing the materials
required and the method for tying each of them. There are plenty of good
beginners books available out there at reasonable cost. Get a good one
and it will prove to be a valuable investment.

Then choose three not too adventurous patterns that all share as many of
the listed materials required as possible, and take it from there.
Choose simple compound wings first, and as your skill and ability
develops you can try your hand at more difficult patterns.

And don't neglect the hair wing patterns. Flies in smaller sizes, say
doubles and singles in 6's, 8's and 10's are relatively easy to tie and
are probably used far more often than the larger sizes. Try tying some
simple patterns like Willy Gunn, Garry Dog, Stoat's Tail and Tadpole.
When you're feeling more adventurous you can try your hand at some of
the more complicated shrimp variations.

Don't skimp on hook quality. Buy the best true salmon hooks you can
afford. But above all, have fun.
--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland