Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Default salt water.....

On Feb 23, 4:35*pm, " wrote:
i believe you could get by down east in the old north state
with a 9 by 9 and floating line for most fly fishing efforts. *you are
just not going to have fun trying to catch much of anything really
deep.

That summarizes the difficulties I had on the few occasions I tried
salt. I found I really just don't like fishing sinking lines. On a
trout stream, you have relatively short casts, you pick up the line, &
cast it again. Simple, sweet.

But 50' or more of sinking line? You can't just pick that up & cast
it again. (Well, I couldn't.) Strip it most of the way back in, then
false cast a few times to shoot more line before you can drop it out
there where the fish might be. Part (probably most) of my problem was
that I suck at that & really wasn't having fun.

I can handle the sink tip for the shad runs because the casts are
shorter & the activity more like trout or steelhead fishing; but I
never warmed up to sal****er stuff. Not enough opportunities to
improve, methinks.

Joe F.