Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default salt water.....

"rb608" wrote

But 50' or more of sinking line? You can't just pick that up & cast
it again.

shooting heads make a big difference

I've had good success with heads "too heavy" for the rod that I cut back a
inch or two at a time until they balanced that rod to my feel ... this
leaves you with a shorter than stock head. You still have to retrieve all
the way in or close to it ( not as hard for me since my experience is
limited to Stripers and they sometimes wait til they are damn near bumping
the boat to hit ) but one false cast to get the overhang you need ( head out
the guides ) and one delivery cast with a haul and you're fishing again at a
good long distance. ( unless the running line tangles or you step on it ;-)

OH, OH, major flashback ... visualize a great haul and cast abruptly
stopped short by standing on the line

Now the story. My bride and I were backpacking and stopped in Little
Yosemite Valley ( aka black bear heaven ) the first night. To get the
packs and food up out of bears reach I tied a good sized rock to the end of
some 1/8" nylon rope, wound up swinging the rock in circles on the end of a
couple feet of line, and aiming to launch it over a distant limb in a tree,
let go. It zoomed at great speed towards that target ... until it came
up short because I was standing on most of the rope. Back came that rock
bashing me in the head and causing me to bleed a great deal, ... which was
almost as bad as the ego damageG.

Larry L ( macho outdoors guy extraordinaire ;-)