Old July 1st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Tim J.

Default leader pile up

"Wayne Knight" wrote...
"snakefiddler" wrote...
o.k., so i can cast my line out in a nice straight line fairly

consistently,
avoiding "pile up", but my leader is piling up. i just put new leader on
day before yesterday, and it is pretty curly. is it because of that, or

is
it related to my casting- or maybe something else? any ideas?

While not stretching the leader may be part of the problem, my guess it is
not all of the problem.
The leader is not turning over and presenting the fly. Some of it may be
your casting technique, as this in not an uncommon newbie problem. I think
the major culprits beside straightening the leader are 1. how the leader is
attached to the fly line and 2. the leader is not "matched" to the size fly.

snip
As an addendum to #2, and IMHO, I've found that many of the store bought tapered
leaders don't have a stiff enough butt section or a wispy enough tippet for
casting small dry flies. Once I started tying my own based on LeaderCalc, I've
been more pleased with the presentation. You can approximate the same action by
buying a larger and shorter tapered leader and then tying some good tippet onto
that, but I'm much happier with the presentation of the hand tied leader.
--
TL,
Tim