Old April 15th, 2007, 01:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

Default Cat fishing tonight

Bob La Londe wrote:
That color sure looks like a channel cat to me. Very big for a channel,
atleast around here.

It was a channel after all, I didn't know channels mouths got so big,
most of the smaller ones have smaller to body size mouths. we counted
the rays on the anal fin from the photo which told it's true species.

It was big for around here as well, it was the biggest channel I have
ever caught or even seen caught by another, yet far from our state
record, I have caught a number of blues and flats bigger than this, but
in all but one case I was gunning for them with the right size gear. Of
course after the fact I'm tickled pink I was using the light reel, and
line (which happened to be mouthed on a new heavy medium action
CastAway, at least the rod was the right size, but it added to the
difficulty of actually landing the fish on light line, I had less of a
shock absorber, than I would normally use on 8#) Of course if I had lost
the fish due to spooling or line breaking, I would not be a happy
camper, but the fish would have weighed much more if we went by how big
it looked in the water, I'm sure that fish lost 10# from the net to the
scale :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,