Old January 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM
DaveMohnsen

Default Head cement

"GuyT" wrote in message
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Hi Guy,
I started tying fairly seriously back in the early 70's. I just bought some
Sally Hansen stuff a month or so ago. Haven't used it yet. But I went
through all kinds of stuff over the years. Made my own derivative of
cement, combining stuff that have should have killed me a long time ago,
bought stuff over the counter, and finally figured out I only needed a
couple things . . .something to soak into the thread . . .and that may be
all . . .or something to make a shiny front to the fly. I use a head cement
on about everything (unless I'm in a hurry). It may be only a pin drop at
the location of the end of a whip finish, or I may paint it with a high
gloss. ( the high gloss flies usually may start at a size 10 or larger)

Keeping this is mind, I don't usually use waxed threads. But, I believe
they have a better adhering ability than the nonwaxed threads. . .cause the
wax stuff kind of helps 'smushing' it together . . .if wrapped off tightly
enough. When I use waxed threads, I sometimes don't use anything other
than a whip finish.

But I can say, about 90% plus of my flies have a little dab of some cement.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver