Old January 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Guy Thornberg

Default Head cement

Thanks to all for your input and responses!
I will rummage through the 100's of bottles of nail polish the women have in
their many boxes of beauty aids.....You never know what you might find that
will be of use at the bench.
Guy

"DaveMohnsen" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"GuyT" wrote in message
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Hi Guy,
I started tying fairly seriously back in the early 70's. I just bought

some
Sally Hansen stuff a month or so ago. Haven't used it yet. But I went
through all kinds of stuff over the years. Made my own derivative of
cement, combining stuff that have should have killed me a long time ago,
bought stuff over the counter, and finally figured out I only needed a
couple things . . .something to soak into the thread . . .and that may be
all . . .or something to make a shiny front to the fly. I use a head

cement
on about everything (unless I'm in a hurry). It may be only a pin drop at
the location of the end of a whip finish, or I may paint it with a high
gloss. ( the high gloss flies usually may start at a size 10 or larger)

Keeping this is mind, I don't usually use waxed threads. But, I believe
they have a better adhering ability than the nonwaxed threads. . .cause

the
wax stuff kind of helps 'smushing' it together . . .if wrapped off tightly
enough. When I use waxed threads, I sometimes don't use anything other
than a whip finish.

But I can say, about 90% plus of my flies have a little dab of some

cement.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver