Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
gary3594[_2_]

Default Going to Nantucket in mid August, just caught my first Tarpon!!!

I am a relative beginner to fly fishing in general and more so in salt
water. I just caught my first tarpon in Stuart FL using a 12wt but
guide chose most of the rigging.

Going to Nantucket in August with my family and want to try surf or
jetty fishing which there will be no advice from a guide.

I am thinking blues and strippers, correct? I want to take a 9wt and
12 wt and need complete recommendations from the type of line to
leader, tippet, and type and sizes of flies.

I have a 12wt Scientific Anglers Slow Sinking Tarpon line that used on
my recent trip. Can I use this in colder waters or do I need to get a
12wt Stripper line?

In terms of leader, what pound test and length do I need for my 9 and
12 wts respectively?

Do I need a wire tippet? I was thinking of getting the Rio Sal****er
shock tippet in either 60-80 lb test. Can this be used in front of a
16lb test leader?

Is a stripping basket necessary?

As you can see I am a complete novice when having to fend on my own.
Thanks in advance.

--
gary3594