Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Bob Askey

Default Salmon Fishing

"Jon Foster" wrote in message ...
Guys, stupid question... I need to learn how to Salmon fish. They are
running strong here in Michigan and I need to learn how to do it so I can
take my oldest daughter out and hopefully catch one. I only fish on a rare
occasion and never catch anything but sun fish. I'm looking for the A to Z
education. Are there any good web sites to start with? How about gear too?

Thanks, Jon.

If you can get good information and find your way to fishing for these
Salmon that would be great. Another great method of learning and
finding where to fish is to hire a license fishing guide. Licensed as
in has all the insurance actually does it for a living not some want
to be guide.

Many people who never fish and hear and would like to fish for Salmon
find a guide. This is an especially good way to learn. I have a
friend who guides he has taken a lot of people who have no clue on how
to catch salmon. Many buy junk equipment because it is something they
hardly ever do. Junk equipment will not in most cases do the job.
You will catch fish but not very often. With a guide, if they are
good at all, will have good equipment and years of experience. My
friend has taken people out who have tried on their own but never did
any good.

If this is a one time thing hire a guide and avoid buying equipment
you will never use again. Equipment is very expensive and a guide
makes sense. If this is something you plan to pursue on a regular
basis a guide is still good and ask what equipment to buy etc.

My self I met people that do a lot of fishing and was lucky enough to
learn from them. You can do this to if you know such people.

Bob