Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:24 PM
rb608

Default old fenwick rod

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
We get people in all the time with old outfits. We just tune them up a bit
if it is workable so they can get started. It might mean straightening the
tip top with pliers so the line will shoot through better, just putting on

little backing, some knots and a leader, tippet and a few flies. Then if

we
are not too busy, we take them out side for a few minutes to give them a
quickie casting lesson for free. It is amazing how many of these people

turn
into long term customers and/or send us lots of people they meet for help.

That describes almost exactly my entrance to the sport. I walked into a
shop carrying an old hand-me-down HI fiberglass rod with a mashed tip top,
knowing little to nothing about what I was getting into. A new tip top and
a few minutes out back with the rod to determine the weight, and I was a new
flyfisherman with a 6 wt. line on a new Cortland Rimfly reel. A quick
casting lesson, a little advice, a few basic flies, & I was ready for the
river. Caught a trout on my first trip. I've been a loyal customer there
ever since.

Joe F.