Old December 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Roger Ohlund

Default Lapland clave 2004 maps

"Mike Connor" wrote in message
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Ohlund"
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 7:57 PM
Subject: Lapland clave 2004 maps

Here are some maps describing the area.

Hi Roger,

great info! Thanks!

For those of us less experienced campers. It is a very long time since I
did any camping. What would be your recommendations for kit to take along?

Well Mike,

I'll try to make this list as complete as possible, although it is obviously
a personal thing what to bring or not.
Some of the choices I will explain at the end of the list.

A tent. A tunnel tent with water proof fabric is preferred.
A sleeping bag. Make that a sleeping bag with below zero degrees Celsius
comfort temperature.
A bottom sheet.
An inflatable sleeping mattress.
Waders. Breathables, since we will be hiking to some extent.
Wading jacket. Together with the waders you have rain clothes.
Back pack. Make it a soft one, easier to pack in the helicopter.
Optional small back pack. The kind that kids bring to school is a good
choice for daytrips.
Fishing gear =). Try to fit all the rods in one or two tubes to simplify the
helicopter loading..
See to that you wear comfortable trekking shoes when we lift off with the
helicopter.
A hat, or some kind of head wear to protect from mosquitoes.
Cooking device. Aluminium with propane butane burner
Knife, fork, spoon, plate and mug.
A really warm fleece or wool sweater.
Clothes (of course). But see to that you have at least two pair of trousers,
sweaters, socks and underware (as many as hygien demands) in case you ever
do a "Reid", also t-shirt and shorts in case it gets really warm.
A flashlight (LED head lamp). Myron proved to me the use of such during the
darker hours of the night.
A lighter.
A pair of pliers and a good sharp knife.
A small ammount of "heat glue" and a rod tip top.
A towel, tooth brush, soap and shampoo. (No need to shave, keeps the
mosquitoes off)
First aid.
Food. This I will help anyone who needs to shop for food before takeoff. It
will lengthen the list to much to write it down and still takes some
experience to know what to bring for a week.

You may add to/edit this list at will.
(I'm thinking personal stuff like a camera, fly tying kit or whatever)

Now then, to explain a couple of things.

The sub zero sleeping bag will be needed if it gets cold but will be too
warm if it gets hot, hence the bottom sheet. Put it on top of the inflatable
mattress and use the sleeping bag as blanket if it gets too warm.
You will probably not need to bring a cooking device. There will be plenty
at hand and the smart thing to do is to cook for more than one person at a
time.
Also, me and Fred have two tents and so does Vaughan. I can also borrow
anything up to two or three more tents.
First aid I will always bring no matter what the rest of you do.
The helicopter will take 20 kg of packing per person, after that you must
pay for every kilo (cheap) and they will allow up to 50 kilo per person (I
think).
The water up there beats any water that you can buy anywhere in the world,
but still you might just want to bring a good whiskey and some cans of beer.

/Roger
If I can think of something else I will let you know.