Old December 21st, 2003, 03:55 AM
rw

Default Lapland clave 2004 maps

rakane at verizon dot net wrote:
A sleeping bag. Make that a sleeping bag with below zero degrees Celsius
comfort temperature.
A bottom sheet.
An inflatable sleeping mattress.
Waders. Breathables, since we will be hiking to some extent.

I just have to ask, why have an inflatable mattress if you are preparing for
cold weather? I went late season elk hunting with about 18" of snow, and
that night one of our hunters got hypothermia because he was sleeping on an
inflatable mattress. The physician in the group had to drive him into
Pendleton. That mattress allowed the cold to penetrate from the side of the
mattress, where those with the old foam standbys were toasty warm.

The self-inflating ThermaRest mattress is the standard among my camping
friends, but I usually make do with a thin closed-cell foam pad. You
couldn't pay me to use an air mattress.

I liked Roger's list, though. One item I'd add is a length of parachute
cord.

You Lapland Clavers would do well, IMO, to pool your camping resources.
It makes poor sense for everyone to bring his own tent and cooking gear,
for example. A good sized tarp that could be used as cover for a common
cooking and eating area would be handy and would add to the sense of
camaraderie. :-)

The most important advice I'd give to campers - especially campers who
are fishing in cold weather -- is to take no cotton clothing. Use only
quick-drying synthetics and wool.