Old December 26th, 2010, 05:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Mexico ... fishing in Winter

On Dec 25, 10:57*am, " wrote:
On Dec 22, 12:55*pm, Larry L wrote:

I know a very nice couple that truly qualifies as year round mega-
fishing bums. * *In past Winters they have moved their trailer way
down into Mexico along the Eastern edge and pursued sal****er fly
fishing.....somewhere

I don't seem to be able to locate them, at the moment, *to ask them
directly
.... so I'll ask here.

Where in Mexico are good spots for a free-lance ( no lodge or
guides ), inexperienced at sal****er, angler to study on the map and
consider?

I'd be wanting to tow a trailer down ( although I might convince the
wife I "needed" a pop up camper and I have a 2008 Diesel that requires
ultra-low *sulfur fuel (which I understand may be a real problem to
get south of the border??)

If you don't have a good boat and knowledge of the area your options
are extremely limited. Also, the local guides are not pleased about
Anglos poaching on "their" water without paying a guide fee. I
wouldn't bother to try. Sad to say, but quality flats fishing is a
rich man's sport.

The best place I've seen for DIY bonefishing is Eluthera Island in the
Bahamas. You can rent a car pretty cheaply and access lots of places.
Try the Gummy Minnow in Governor's Harbour.

Thanks for the info, rw

I need to find ways to occupy my retired guy time more fully, in
Winter. Sadly, a couple months a year in New Zealand or Patagonia
ain't for we poor folk neither.

BTW, I think I saw you going the other direction on the road near
Picabo in Sept ... I thought for a while "Where do I know that guy
from?" and eventually decided maybe it was you and I recognized you
from pictures. If so, my closest thing yet to a real world ROFF
encounter G