Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
td

JustPassingThrough wrote:
Today I used chicken livers for the first time. Normally I prefer worms
for catfish but I didn't have any. The good news is that I caught my
supper. However I did have a problem keeping the livers on the hook
when casting. There was about a 50/50 chance of them staying on the
line through the cast. Have any of you found a good way to hook them so
that they stay on?

Some may have already said it, but I have heard of having success by
making up several (treble!) hooks on leaders in advance-- and freezing
them with the liver on them.

Also, as someone mentioned pantyhose, you can also use guaze or cheese
cloth scraps. Anything that will allow the majority of the scent to escape.

Liver has been my most successful bait, but I have found that it also
depends on where I am. It's affordable and much less of a hassle than
store-bought "stink baits". You may also want to give gizzards a try.
Easier to put on a hook, but the scent is not as strong. Easily remedied
with the often-mentioned addition of garlic.

td