Old August 27th, 2009, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
steve[_4_]

Default NEW WORLD RECORD LARGEMOUTH CAUGHT!! JAPAN!! UpdateDisqualified??

On Aug 5, 7:39*am, steve wrote:
It is possible that this bass will be disqualified. To see all the
latest videos and articles and read the whole story just go to
Northeast Bass Fishing For Trophy Bass athttp://delawaretrophybass.com

UPDATE 8/27/09
Here is an email Matt Lures received from a very reliable source. He
lives in Japan and owns a tackle store there. his name is Greg Vella
I have come to the conclusion that Japan will probably not allow the
big bass to become a record (JGFA). There is just too much (political)
at stake, with the recent push to make all of Japan “catch and kill”
for bass and bluegill. The Japanese government has spent millions of
dollars on this program, which includes supplementing the income of
the commercial fisherman at Lake Biwa.
Letting Mr. Kurita’s fish become the new Japan record (JGFA) will send the wrong type of message to the taxpayer, and draw unwanted attention to the positive aspects of bass fishing.

Here is where we stand:

I mentioned before a about the distance from the bridge restriction ( the bass was caught near the Biwako Bridge)–It seems that his boat was not within the restricted area, but now they are saying they are going to DQ him because he CAST into the restricted area (which is not legally a “restricted” area anyway). I don’t understand? Lake Mission Viejo has a 20 foot from the dock no fishing zone, but that means your boat must not be withing 20 feet when fishing, not your cast. Another example would be the buoy line at Perris, or Casitas. As long as your boat is outside the buoy line, you can cast wherever you want.
This is weak.

What is weaker is that they are now saying the he “broke the law” to catch the fish due to his bait (a bluegill). Bluegill are not illegal to be used for bait (nobody cares), but they are illegal to release back into the lake alive. The bass “No Release” law includes bluegill and everybody is aware of this due to posted signs all over the lake. But they are now saying that Mr. Kurita “released” a bluegill back into the lake when he pinned it on his hook, and tossed it in front of the giant bass.

This is really pushing it, IMO.

What they don’t know, and I just found out today, is that Mr. Kurita is registered, like I am, to be able to release bass and bluegill.

Even so, I sure they will make up something else; they do not want this fish to become a record, because:
As of two days ago, the paperwork has not even been submitted to the IGFA..
JGFA is saying that it must pass their scrutiny before he is “allowed” to submit to the IGFA; it should not be this way, as the IGFA is a separate entity.
It seems it is catch 22 for Mr. Kurita.

There is so much misinformation going around that it is sad, at best. The same type of people that said the Biwa Lake grow fat on all the salmon (there are none) are giving opinions on stuff they know nothing about.

Hope all is going well for you,
Capt. G

And here is something else that crossed my mind today. If he used Live
Bait, which was a Coi, it weighed at least 4 ounces, probably more,
and you would think that the bass swallowed it after being caught,
which means it had at least 4 ounces added to it artificially by the
angler when it was weighed. Should this really count?