Old December 31st, 2004, 04:59 AM
Rob Storm

Back when pop tops first appeared on beer cans, they weren't attached as they
are now, but pulled free when you opened your beer. I was a poor college
student who couldn't afford to buy lures, so I used to bore a hole in one end
of the pop top and attach a split ring and treble hook. I tied my line to the
ring on the other end. It was too light to cast with a spinning rod, but with
a fly rod you could get it out 30 feet, then twitch it back. The action of
that light aluminum was hard for fish to resist. i caught lots of bream, a few
bass and a channel cat or two, before the can makers wised up and came up with
the pull tab system we have now.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com