Old February 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Default Alaska idea?

On 2010-02-12 09:35:08 -0500, Jonathan Cook said:

On Feb 11, 7:33*pm, riverman wrote:

Anyone know anything about this?

I am by no means an expert, but having been there my impressions
(could very well be wrong) a

As far as car rentals go, I'd bet the vast majority are rented in
Anchorage and returned there, since there is essentially nowhere else
to drive to and then fly out of (for the average tourist budget).

I have no idea about RVs but there's probably great fishing in BC.

There really are not that many roads in Alaska, relatively speaking.
Driving is not the optimal way to do fishing in Alaska. Oh you'll find
plenty but it won't be the sort of "wild Alaska" fishing you see on
films. Float plane, float trip, and power boat are how they get to the
rest of Alaska.

I have friends who did a "rental car" fishing trip in Alaska, but only
on Kodiak island. They just used the car to get around the island to
various fishing spots, and had quite a good time.

Jon.

Jon has it right, I believe. However, there may be an RV or two that
have been brought up from the States (Seatle area) that would need to
be returned. Is there much of a market for that? I don't know. Your
best bet would be to check with the rental places in Seatle area,
including Vancouver, and see if your idea has merit.

Regardless, fishing in Alaska is as Jon says. Anything you could reach
via RV would be very crowded, touristy, and probably with lots of kids.
Off the beaten track in Alaska is where to go and that requires a bush
flight or two. If you are going thru the trouble of going there to
**fly fish**, the quality stuff is in the bush away from roads, RVs,
kids, and pets. Just my o.

Dave