Old April 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Default Crawdad Trapping

On Apr 21, 5:31*pm, ULB wrote:
Hi there,

I am not sure if this message is in the correct place. *So if not,
well, sorry.

I want to try my luck with crawdad trapping. *I was looking at traps
and well there are quite a few. *I see some that are tubular and some
that are rectangular, etc.

What are the pros and cons of using these different geometric shapes?
I will be trying in a fairly slow moving river, it appears to be some
sand with some fairly large rocks. *Rocks being couple feet across.
There are places that are swift and othere that are slow movers. *But
still some current.

I don't want some cheap traps, but I would like to get the traps
within a week or so. *Who's should I look at? *I don't want a massive
trap either space is somewhat limited, and I sure as heck don't want
to make one, but I guess I can modify one if necessary.

I see Cabelas and Bass pro have some, but they get mixed reviews.

Any pointers? *How about bait consideration? *fish heads? *cat food
canned? *My grandpa used salami, he swore by it, but he's not around
to ask now.

How long to soak these guys? *I was planning on throwing a couple out
at mixed places and well, fishing other places with a rod and reel for
fish. *so overnite would be nice,

I haven't done it in years. I used to just use the conicle shaped
traps such as this...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...5C &noImage=0

They seemed to work fine. Here in my local river and small lakes
where I did it I used to just use canned cat food with a couple holes
poked in to the can for a 3 day or so soak. Liver works very well
too, as the other poster mentioned, as would just about any other,
rotten, stinky, flesh.

Good luck.