Old April 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Pittman Pirate

Default Crawdad Trapping

"Rodney Long" wrote in message

I want to try my luck with crawdad trapping. I was looking at traps
and well there are quite a few. I see some that are tubular and some
that are rectangular, etc.

The best Mud Bug catcher is a burlap sack.

This is the way it works, take a burlap sack, then mash a whole tub of
liver into it, spread the stuff to cover as much area as possible, just
smear the stuff through the bag

Weigh the sack down so it stays on the bottom, and leave it over night, I
have seen 300 craw fish "trapped" on a single bag the next morning.

The little hooks , and spines on their legs gets caught on the burlap
threads, trapping them, you just pick them off.

Note place these in very shallow water, in thick weeds if possible, the
reason for this is it must be where fish can't pick them off before you
get there the next morning.

I've seen a lot of crawfishing, and that's one unique idea. I'm going to
try that with my hardware cloth traps. Thanks.