Old May 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Bob La Londe

"Da Chief" wrote in message
I'm considering a handheld CB radio, primarily for traveling but would

also
take it in the boat. I always carry the cellphone, but sometimes don't get
good coverage. I'd rather hear from ROFB'ers than going to an RV

newsgroup.
And before anyone says it- no I don't want to go "breaker breaker mister
largemouth, got your ears on?". LOL

--
Da Chief,
All outgoing mailed scanned by

If you really want it for safety, then see if your local authorities monitor
CB channel 9 or not, and also see if the monitor the local marine emergency
channels.

You might also stop by the marinas were you fish mostly and see if they keep
a radio or scanner turned on.

I know back in the mid and late 70s when everybody did CB you could get a
message relayed across the country in minutes, but now-a-days that isn't so
much the case. Also, you need to remember that marine radio broadcasts at
a much higher power level so if people monitor both in your area you may
want to carry both. The negative of marine radio is it is not legal to use
it for anything other than marine (ship to ship or ship to shore)
communications or in an emergency. (Any radio is legal to use in an
emergency, and emergency use takes precedence over any other use.)

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com