Old April 29th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Wattage and distance of GMRS two-way radios

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
(Hopefully, this does not get posted twice as last night, it didn't seem

go...)

Hi all,

In looking at a couple of different GMRS Radios, one of the main

differences
seems to be the wattage output and hence the claim of distance. For
instance, the Motorola T5950 outputs 1 watt where the Midland G-300

outputs
3 watts. That is definitely a difference in power and I am sure that

makes
a huge difference in battery life.

Here is my question -- on lake surrounded by woods where you do not have
line of sight to another person, how much distance can you really get
between the two units? If 1 watt gives you two miles through that

terrain,
would the three watt give you four miles?

I doubt you would get two miles in broken terrain with units that claima
range of two miles.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index