Old April 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default How much HP per pound?

"DAVID MC CARVER" wrote in message
I have ordered a new aluminum boat for catfishing and am not interested in
200HP motors or getting 25 miles down the lake in 30 minutes. I would like
the hull to plane out and not feel sluggish under power. The new boat

will
weigh 500 lbs. and perhaps 1000 to 1200 less motor when loaded. I would

like
to put a 25HP on it but am afraid that's a little light. I notice that

some
similar boat packages have 25s on them. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks -- Dave

There is no set formula of horsepower per pound of boat. Hull design,
materials used and construction techniques all play a part in a boat's
horsepower rating.

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER power a boat less than 20% of
it's maximum horsepower rating. Less than that and you will have a sluggish
boat when loaded for fishing. 95% of the people that I know who've not
followed this "rule" have been disappointed in how their boat performed and
either ended up re-powering the boat (an expensive proposition) or traded
the whole rig in.

The only time that I can think you would not follow this advice is if you
fish a lot of horsepower restricted waters.

The last three boats I've owned have been maxed out the horsepower rating of
the hull and I've been satisfied with the performance and handling.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com