Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Todd[_2_]

Default Casting reel problem

Dave wrote:
I have a Shimono bass casting reel. I am new to casting for bass. My
problem is that every time I cast with this reel I get a birds nest of
line bunched up on my reel. This is very frustrating. My question is how
do I properly cast this rod & reel so that I don't have this problem? I
am so fed up with this happening that I want to give up on casting reels
and stay with my open face reel.
Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

Hi Dave,

One of my first not so nice memories of fishing
was doing the same to one of my dad's casting
reels. The trick is all in the thumb:

http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfis...a/baitcast.htm

Do a google search on "how to cast with a casting reel". There
are even videos (I'd post them here but I get a NNTP error
for lines over 79 characters).

You just need a little bit of practice. Sounds
like a good excuse to go fishing!

HTH,
-T