Old May 7th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Ed Hughes

Default Feeding and attracting wild shiners?

Just get a minnow trap ( galvanized wire mesh 2 piece ) at Wally's about $9
I think . Then what I did is add a small wire bait box to the inside, to
keep the litle buggers from sucking it out from the outside . or a bait bag
of some kind might work also .
I generally start with just bread .. if that isn't quite enough , or the
minnows are too small add something with garlic or cheese ( even slices of
cheese broken into small enough pieces to fit the bait holder.

Ed

"Dale Coleman" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi all, the other day I went down to the local lake and threw out some
bread near the weeds waited a bit then tossed my cast net.

I was surprised to find some nice wild shiners in the net. For some
reason I had thought the lake mostly held bream.

This got me thinking it would not take much to feed and attract many
more shiners.

So my question is what are the best feeds to use that might attract
the shiners but maybe discourage the bream some? What I have observed
is the bream are quick to take bread on the surface but the shiners
seem to like to stay down a bit, does that sound right? Maybe a feed
that sinks would work best???

Thanks, DC
--
Dale Colemam