Old April 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#3

On 2011-04-11 17:58:58 -0400, jeff said:
jeff

Barracuda! While in Panama The Chief's Club contracted a Panamanian
fisherman to make ceviche (bite size chucks of barracude pickled
(cooked) in lime juice. He had his own recipe, and was not willing to
share. But, he said, true ceviche is made only with barracuda. (??)

Nice report, Jeff. I hope to do some bonefishing next year if I'm
better. I'm anxious to read RW's report; he targeted barracuda, so I
imagine he will have a few good tales to tell.

Again, great report. Tks.

Dave

thanks dave. steve is staying at andros south. it's located north of
mars bay where i hooked my big barracuda while DIY wade fishing. it was
my first on a fly rod, and quite an eye-opener. we saw a lot of
them...most in the 20-45 inch size. mine, measured on my rod, was about
42", and i can say it was one of the best gamefish i've caught on a
flyrod. made even more fun by my quick change from a bonefish rig to
barracuda rig, and then stalking and casting to the log in the shallows
of mars bay. the takewas lightning! i wore him out after sevearal long
runs, but he swallowed my fly and i had to send him swimming off with
it. i'll pay more attention to them in future salty adventures.

i think rw will target whatever presents itself, but bonefish will be
the main course. we saw several tarpon in a feeding lie on the flats,
and the guides at andros south like to find them. barracuda and shark
were plentiful. andros is a great spot...take a google at tiamo when
you've a chance. you'll like its comforts and the guides are tops.

jeff