Old April 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#1 (intro)

"jeff" wrote in message
. ..
in short, bonefishing is a humbling experience to a newbie sal****er
flyfisherman. every flaw in one's casting and line management and fly
presentation is revealed, quickly and often. i have a lot of flaws.

but, following almost 2-weeks of fly fishing the waters around south
andros, i can now mark bonefish off my bucket list. it was a blast and an
intense learning experience. i hope to return for more lessons.

for me, sal****er flyfishing is very different from the mountain trout
fishing i do, with unique challenges. luckily, both are available to me in
north carolina.

for about 20 years, i've done mainly freshwater trout flyfishing when i
had a vacation. otherwise, i've been doing spinfishing in the freshwater
for bass and shad, and in the sal****er for puppy drum, speckled trout,
flounder, bluefish, spanish mackeral and false albacore. with the
encouragement of a friend, and after seeing his glee at hooking an albie
on a fly, i began brief attempts at flyfishing for them and for my
favorite sal****er fish, the puppy drum.

i'm only a mediocre trout fly fisherman...but secure enough in my
knowledge and ability to do it in most places. i'm a miserable sal****er
flyfisherman.

so naturally, this kindergartner of sal****er flyfishing enrolled at the
m.i.t. for bonefishing...south andros, bahamas. it was a hoot! downright
embarrassing at times... but because i was in the company of good folks,
such times became shared laughter and fun and pleasant tutorials. i was
tolerated, as were my deficiencies. i learned, and now i've a new fish to
yearn after as a possible clue in the pursuit of answers to the great
mystery.

for those who haven't done it, if you're able to make it happen, give
bonefishing a go. i'll try to pass on observations from my initial
adventure in other posts.

jeff (more to come, as time and mood allow)

Great TR jeff,

I especially liked the part when you described the guide telling you where
to cast and the strip stop set... way cool...!

The pics are nice too, love the palm tree sunset...

Livin' vicariously,
JT
Thanks a lot....