Old June 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

"Sam" wrote in message
Why would the water make it mushy and bad tasting if it is still alive?

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
.net...

"Sam" wrote in message
I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up,
but would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the
best way of storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the
spot? Do I just throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it
alive underwater until I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh
water ponds/ and maybe some rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Worse thing is to keep a fish alive in the water. Summer time and the
water is warm, and the fish will get bad tasting and mushy. I gut the
fish, toss it in a ziplock bag, and toss it in to the cooler with ice.
Keep the fish out of the cooling water makes for the best tasting fish.
So bag it to keep it cold and dry.

Heat and stress. Builds up lactose and other stuff in the fish.