Old October 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Default Water Temps

I know around here (New England) that Smallmouth typically come out of
their winter patterns in 45 degree water. Keep in mind they are still
very very sluggish during this time and I can only usually get them
using a jerkbait triggering areas that are the first to see the ice
leave. I look for areas especially where water is flowing in (channel,
culvert, streams, etc.) Find the warmest water and trigger them with
hard jerks of the jerkbait in the most natural colors you can find. I
have also caught largemouth on this pattern but you need to wait till
the water hits about 50 degrees to see them.

As far as the spawn goes, Smallmouth spawn here 55-60 degrees
Largemouth spawn 62-65 degrees. I have also found out that the water
temp can be on the cool side (outside of previously stated ranges) if
there is a full moon. Something about that moon triggers spawning even
if the water isn't quite warm enough yet. Hope this helps...it is a
tough time of year to fish but living in New England with long winters
and no fishing it is a great time of year for me because it means I
can go out and fish again. Also this is a good time of year to catch
monster bass. Good luck!