Old September 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Skye Sheldan

Default Can I de-scent flys?

In my opinion you shouldn't need to de-scent them, unless they have been
exposed to smoke or anything else that would cause an unusual amount of
scent contamination. There is another thing though. Your hands can transfer
your own odor to different materials, everyone has a scent, but some folks
produce more of it than others, in this case just wash your hands before
going, I mean we treat them with silicone based floatants etc. and fish take
them.......Kerry
"S. Inkson" wrote in message
I have a lot of good (expensive) flys but I seem to get a lot more
suspicious looks and then refusals than I should. I know the size and
patterns are good but wonder now because of the incredible sense of
smell trout reputedly have that the flys have somehow become tainted.
I'm not a smoker,careful with sunscreen,insect spray and wash my hands
etc but is there a way or product I can wash the flys in or with?
Regards Simon .