Old June 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
JohnK

Default Yellows in the bass dam

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"mr&ms" wrote in message
Yup...a grass carp

Nope, not a grass carp at all, but a totally different fish. A
Clanwilliam Yellowfish is "Barbus capensis" and a grass carp, also known
as a White Amur, is "Ctenopharyngodon idella."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

True, a different fish. But still a member of the carp family of fish, and
the physical resemblance
is remarkable, except of colurse for the distinct golden color. I find it
interesting that all over
the world, common carp is respected and in some places even prized , while
in North America we
consider it trash. Then, there are a number of other fish in the carp
family, which in their
own countries of origin are not considered or called "carp", we attach the
"carp" suffix to it and automatically
reduce it to a trash fish. That is besides the issue of being invasive
foreign species that we foolishly
brought here. Most of us fishermen now think these new Invasive Asian
"carps" are the same barbelled
mud diggers we brought here from Germany in the 1800s, which they are not.
I'm all for eliminating
the name "grass carp" and just calling it White Amur. BTW in Asia they are
just called "grass fish".